Archive for Gauffered Edges

Gauffered Edges

Posted in Books, Glossary with tags , , , , on February 4, 2010 by incunable

Gauffering describes the act of applying a patterned decoration to the text block edges of a book.  This type of ornamentation is used most often on books with gold or gilded edges.  The example shown is a copy of The Poetical Works of John Dryden, which has been gauffered with a rope and star pattern using heated metal stamps and rollers.